Nowadays there exist labels/seals of quality for all kinds of fields, like groceries, clothing, wood products ect. Why shouldn’t there be a seal of quality for purebred dogs?
For the consumer – the puppy buyer – it is very difficult today to decide which breeder is responsible and which breeder produces dogs only for his own ego or the sake of money.
Therefore one needs yearslong insight into the “community” and a lot of background knowledge about hereditary diseases, genetics, population genetics, breeding lines etc, which cannot be expected by a layman. This knowledge can be expected by breeders and the officials of breed clubs, yes it should be a basic requirement! But unfortunately this is not always the case. The complex problems of current pedigree dog breeding and especially the problems of the great dane can be found in the menu item “information“. The solution approaches are part of the seal of quality of the Association for Healthy Great Danes.
To help critical puppy buyers find a responsible breeder was the reason why we implented the international “Seal of Quality of the Association for Healthy Great Danes”. Only breeders can participate, which voluntarily agree to our minimum requirements, which are in most parts far more strict than the breeding rules of many clubs. The requirements to obtain the seal of quality are focused on health testing, low inbreeding, preservation of the genetic variety of the breed, the wellbeing of the breeding animals, transparency, a good support of the puppy buyers and best socialisation of the puppies. Of course neither we nor our seal of quality breeders can guarantee that every puppy will reach an age of 10 years and more – we cannot perform magic. But at least we do everything which is in our power to reach this goal and are guided by scientific knowledge.
Our Seal of Quality Breeders are committed to:
The whole text of the voluntary self-commitment can be downloaded as a PDF here:
Application for the Seal of Quality
The seal of quality can only be obtained by breeders who commit themselves to the above mentioned minimum requirements and whose last litter was bred according to them. Breeders who didn’t have a litter before can only participate of their planned litter was bred according to the requirements and pregnancy is confirmed. Breeders who violated the requirements in the past grossly (for example mass production of hypertype danes, Violation of the animal welfare act etc) can NOT be admitted. To apply for the seal of quality a comprehensive questionnaire has to be answered. Each application will be checked by the three representatives of the Association for Healthy Great Danes. If the application is dismissed it will be reasoned in written form. There is NO legal claim to be approved for the seal of quality!
The application form can be found here:
If a breeder violates the minimum requirements the Association for Healthy Great Danes can issue a warning or exclude the breeder, depending on the severity of the violation. Every Seal of Quality Breeder can leave the label, but they have to reason it in written form. Warning, exclusion and resignation will be published on our website. We regularly check if our breeders fulfill the minimum requirements. But if anyone has noticed a violation we are thankful to be informed and will treat this information anonymously: email@example.com
Our Seal of Quality Breeders enjoy several benefits:
– breeders portrait on the website and facebook-page, both will be bilingual in German and English, the translation will be for free
– presentation of stud dogs on the website and facebook-page bilingual in German and English, the translation will be for free
– the breeder can advertise with the seal of quality on his website, facebook-page, litter announcements etc
– by request visually attractive litter and stud dog advertisements can be created for reduced prices
– in each issue of our Magazin “Gesunde Deutsche Dogge” (appears twice a year, only in German) seal of quality breeders get an advert the size of a1/4 page for free, bigger adverts can be obtained for reduced prices
– in each issue of our Magazin “Gesunde Deutsche Dogge” (appears twice a year, only in German) a two page breeders portrait will be publised which is being raffled amongst our seal of quality breeders
– reduced prices for Seminare/Vorträge of the Association for Healthy Great Danes (but they are only in German speaking countries)